Thursday, August 31, 2006

overlooked and forgotten?

As many of you know i am currently looking for a job. Sometime last year i started realizing that one of my biggest fears and misconceptions about God is that I will be overlooked or forgotten by him. I started seeing this in the are of singleness. Through searching my heart I saw how much i believed that he had forgotten about me. Well, while i have been looking for a job and continually have had doors shut in my face (not literally) that lie is creeping up again. I'm starting to see that idolatry is not just the things that we want really badly but any misconception about god that is fabricated in my mind and is not true of his character. His word has told me that he will never leave me nor forsake me. And as i read in Isaiah this morning it says "Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet i will not forget you. See I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me." I pray that i will believe this - that HE has promised not to forget about me. The people who receive my resume may forget or overlook me because of my "lack of experience" but The Lord has promised not to and He is faithful.

Kate and Angie-i'm sure this will add fuel to the fire about California. Huh?

5 comments:

G. Twilley said...

Hang in there, Ginny. When I first started my job search I felt frustrated as well. Part of the downtrodden heart (for me) came from the fact that everyone was asking, "Have you considered X?" and knowing that I had considered X and that X didn't want me. All that to say, it took me 2 1/2 months to find the job @ the Tutwiler.

Still, more relief and frustration. I mass e-mailed a group of friends and told them, "I often find myself asking, 'What the hell am I doing here?'" The relief was obvious - I had a job. The frustration was that there were folks who had no formal education who were my bosses. The frustration was that after 3 months of working and attaining the coveted "Employee of the Month," title, I got a raise of one quarter per hour. That's an extra $10 per month - and that's only if I was scheduled for a 40 hour week.

But you're right - God has a plan, and we must do as Sinclair Ferguson says, "His promise may seem to be hopelessly entangled in the circumstances of our lives. But he who numbers the hairs on our heads knows each strand of human history, each tiny part of our lives. His purpose is well-organised, and we can trust it."

Sometimes the fear isn't that He won't provide - it's that he doesn't care. But He cares deeply for you Ginny, very deeply.

Angie Davis said...

Yep, and we will not overlook or forget you!!! No matter if at times you want us too.

Rick said...

Ginny,

I'm so sorry you're going through tough times right now. I agree with everyone else, though. The Lord's gotcha. Miss you!

katie said...

sweet words from gene...
you know our arms are open here, but we trust God to lead you!!

jess said...

Ginny~
My heart goes out to you! We can empathize with the feeling. When all that was going on with Jamie's job...getting overlooked for promotions, having to work 2 jobs, etc. it seemed like there was no light at the end of the tunnel. But, looking back, I see how he carried us and was always faithful to provide, even when we were unfaithful in our belief. I love you and wish I could make it all better, but will continue to pray that God will give you grace to trust. Thanks for the post and the scripture, what a great reminder!!!