
Aunt Dinah's Quilting Party
In the sky the bright stars glittered
On the bank the pale moon shone
And 'twas from aunt Dinah's quilting party
I was seeing Nellie home
Maybe some of you read my post on the fabric of family if you did it may seem like I'm becoming obsessed with quilts. When I wrote that post I started thinking about my granny. Some of you may know, most of you probably don't, my granny is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote that post though. My memory went back to her quilting circle. She would gather her friends together in the back bedroom of the house and they would work on a quilt for weeks. I remember their skilled hands working mindlessly, it seemed, as they chatted and laughed with one another. I tucked that memory away with a smile. Then, my friend Katie's son received a gift, which was a homemade quilt. Katie and started talking about the quilt and I told her that story of my granny and the quilting circle. Which then turned into a conversation about my family heritage. I tend to to think that there is nothing special about it nothing worth salvaging or passing down. That conversation changed my mind. Before my Granny becomes too locked inside herself to realize what is happening around her I want preserve the quilting party tradition. I want her to be able to see me with my friends laughing, talking, and sewing mindlessly. Any takers?
*the song lyrics are especially for my JSU friends!
7 comments:
Sorry, Ginny! I'm not really into quilting...but i'll come talk to you while you work on your quilt.
I'm glad kt has talked you into writing more...hope your having fun!
Mary Martha
We actually have a quilt that my grandmother made for my mom and she gave it to me and everytime I curl up with it I want to know how to make one. I soooooooo wish I lived near you to learn.
I wouldn't mind learning to quilt! I already sew a little! Let me know the details when you get them!
(I was doing "Kick" in my head to quilting party!)
I'm in. There's a chick at Sloss who makes quilts out of the gloves the sculptors wear out pouring iron. I love them.
Su
I would LOVE this! I have no idea how to quilt though! But the thought of some "old fashion fun" sounds so exciting. I can't wait to see you VERY soon! I know you probably aren't as excited since it involves summer being over - but we really missed you this summer! Love ya CHICKIE!
i think that all of your life experiences have made you into the ginny that we all know and love! i would love to join the group. i don't know about quilting, but i always have some kind of unfinished project that needs to be worked on.
Jason wanted me to tell you that's he's in. Please purchase the supplies and have them sent to his place COD.
Post a Comment